An Inspiration

DEANS

When Glen W. Bowersock '57, associate dean of the Faculty for undergraduate education, announced last month that he would leave Harvard to join the Institute for Advanced Studies in Princeton, N.J., Dean Rosovsky said he would divide Bowersock's various administrative duties among several Faculty members.

But at last week's Faculty meeting, Rosovsky announced that he had changed his mind.

He said he had asked George C. Homans '32, professor of Sociology, to serve as acting dean until Sidney Verba '53, professor of Government, returns from a year-long subbatical in the fall of 1981 to take over.

"He's been here a long time. He's a good teacher, He's taught a great many undergraduates--all those things made him right for the job," Rosovsky said Friday of Homans.

Bowersock said last week Homans will "provide leadership and direction" in his new capacity as chairman of the Committee on Undergraduate Education and as a member of the Council of Academic Deans. "I think he's really delighted at the prospect of working with students," Bowersock added.

Bowersock also praised Rosovsky for his decision to appoint Homans, who at 69 years old, is on half time.

"The problem had been getting someone who could rearrange his schedule for a year, and to got to someone who is semi-retired and who has had long experience with undergraduates was a brilliant stoke," Bowersock, who had urged Rosovsky to appoint an acting dean, said.

"I never had any resistance to appointing an acting associate dean," Rosovsky said, adding, "I knew that it would be impossible to get a full-time Faculty member, but then I had this inspired idea."

President Bok has already approved Homans's appointment, which violates a recommendation that Faculty over 66 years of age not hold administrative positions, Rosovsky said.

Homans said last week he was grateful to return full time for a year and to work closely with students. His main qualification for the job is that "I've been around longer than anyone else," he added.