Local 195, City to Bring Charges to Labor Board

The Massachusetts Labor Relations Commission (MLRC) will hold an informal hearing today on two prohibitive-practices complaints brought by the city of Cambridge and Local 195, the Independent Public Employees Association.

Point-Counterpoint

The union has charged the city with docking the pay of collective bargaining committee members who took time off to attend current contract talks.

Calling the move a "scare tactic," James P. Cassidy, the local's president, said yesterday the city has never docked pay before during negotiations, adding he knows of two committee members affected. "I expect the hearing to come out in our favor," he added.

The city has charged the union with making changes in the bargaining stance that leave Cambridge with insufficient negotiating room, Donald P. Hawkes, director of budget and personnel for the city, said yesterday.

He added the union members had been taking time off not only to attend the negotiations with the city--a traditional bargaining practice--but had also charged the city for time spent to develop their basic bargaining position.

Hawkes said he wrote a memo saying union bargainers either had to prepare their position on their own time or be docked, but he added he does not know whether any salaries were actually docked.

The city must negotiate ten contracts, including Local 195's, which expire June 30. The contracts contain "continuation provisions" in case the negotiations are incomplete then, Hawkes said.

Local 195, the city's largest union with 1100 members, is asking for improved dental and vision programs, and increased pay, clothing allowances, seniority benefits and heart and lung disease protection.

The local and the city have presented their sides in two previous bargaining sessions. Another is scheduled for tomorrow.

The fundamental issue is which side can persuade the hearing officer the other has changed the negotiating practices, Hawkes added.

If the MLRC finds grounds for a complaint, it will schedule a more formal hearing on the charges.