Cambridge's Coming Trial

CAMBRIDGE WILL racially balance its schools next fall, a prospect that sparks fear among many in a community that is still, in areas, racially and ethnically divided.

Cambridge officials must face the tensions delicately but honestly. The initial stages of the process were a model of successful cooperation. Community residents working together drew up suggestions; it was from these that Superintendent William Lannon earlier this spring drew up three options for desegregating the schools.

The first hitch came last week, when Lannon recommended redistricting the city instead of pairing its schools. Many, including a clear majority on the school committee, had favored the pairing plan, calling it more educationally sound and less arbitrary.

The school committee must now consider Lannon's recommendation. We urge and expect that the same responsible political leadership that has separated Cambridge from Boston in their response to desegregation will continue. Part of the board's responsibility must of course be to prevent internal bickering and agree on one plan without angry or politically expedient dissent--the city government must begin desegregation united, or the chances of trouble will be greatly increased.

At the same time, school board members and other civic and community leaders should realize that implementing an unwise plan simply because it is at hand could be devastating not only to the city's reaction to racial balance but also to the attempts of the schools to provide sound education. Those who question the redistricting plan must share their concerns at the public hearing scheduled for later this month; the school committee must also decide whether it thinks the proposal is the best method of both educating and desegregating pupils.

The months ahead could be monstrously tense and bitter. They could also be magnificently fruitful. The continued honestly, courage and vision of the city's leaders, and of its people, are essential now; if the pattern of the last year is any clue, they are likely to be forthcoming.