Freshmen Again Choose Economics as Top Major

By Constance M. Laibe

The top freshman concentration choices followed nearly the same patterns as last year's class, statistics the Registrar's Office released yesterday show.

For the 12th consecutive year, Economics was the most popular concentration. Biology, Government and History continued to be the most popular second, third and fourth choices respectively.

History and Literature broke into the top seven concentrations for the first time. "Our greater enrollment is not directly related to popularity, although we are pleased with the students' interest." James D. Wilkinson, the head tutor, said yesterday. History and Literature is under a Faculty mandate to expand gradually by accepting 12 more students every year.

The History and Literature concentration also "tried very hard" this year to acquaint freshmen with its requirements and offerings. Wilkinson said. "It was not a recruiting effort, but an effort to make extensive information available," he added.

There were fewer concentrators in English and American Literature and Languages this year, although freshmen interviewed said the diminishing job market for English majors did not affect their decisions. "It gives me peace of mind with my science courses." one freshman said yesterday.

Kurt Brown, assistant head tutor in Economics, cited three reasons for the concentration's popularity: the continued success of Social Analysis 10 (Ec 10). "Principles of Economics," increased press coverage of the economy, and students' perception of economics as a "marketable" major.

"Although we stress that Economics is a big department and can't give the personal attention that some smaller departments do, students still choose it." Brown said.

Freshmen who chose Economics appear to have professional plans that influenced their decision. One freshman, who asked not to be identified, said yesterday. "I'm here as a means to an end." Top Seven Concentrations Class of '82    Class of '83   1. Economics  177  Economics  188 2. Biology  142  Biology  125 3. Government  122  Government  119 4. History  115  History  102 5. English  98  Psych. & Soc. Rel.  98 6. Psych. & Soc. Rel.  94  English  93 7. Soc. Stud.  60  Hist. & Lit.  87

As the chart above shows, most freshmen continued to choose the concentrations that were most popular among last year's freshmen. The major exception was History and Literature, which replaced Social Studies in the top seven. Economics again received the largest enrollment, perhaps reflecting concern for the nation's faltering productivity and rampant inflation.