A Cosmic Experience

Frankely My Dear

By David Frankel

NEW YORK--The New York Cosmos fans love to boo Glorgio Chinaglia because he looks lazy standing alone by the adversaries' goal. But the broad-shouldered Italian forward is not lazy. He is an international star, the team's leading scorer, an artful dodger who dances through opposing defenses without soiling his crisp white Cosmos uniform with the big green "9" on the back.

It's this aristocratic style of play that the New York fans dislike. They prefer earthier players like Chinaglia's teammate, midfielder Franz Beckenbauer, or national monuments like Pele, who led the Cosmos before his retirement two years ago. Chinaglia ignores the abuse, however. As he revealed Sunday night, his obsession is scoring goals.

* * *

Hands on hips, Chinaglia surveyed the field, a bright green carpet that stretched across the floor of Giants Stadium. Passing the ball upfield, his teammates worked to get the ball to him.

Their opponents, the Seattle Sounders, played listlessly. Either they felt over-confident, sporting a league-leading 21-3 record compared to the Cosmos' lazy 16-7 won-lost tally; or perhaps they lost confidence, their fury reduced to a whimper by 60,812 roaring New York fans. Or maybe the heat bothered them. At 8 p.m., the thermometer reported 95 humid degrees, enough to weaken even those hardy souls from the tropical neighborhoods of Seattle.

Chinaglia peered over his shoulder at Jack Brand, the Sounders' goalkeeper. Brand, who played on the 1978 NASL champion Cosmos--Pele's last team--was wearing shorts, at the risk of severely burning his knees on the mock turf. Brand had looked sharp in practice, but strolled languidly now toward the edge of the penalty box, waiting for the blue-spotted ball to reach his end.

The crowd grew restless as both teams failed to score early. The purple evening light disappeared behind the banks of stadium lights and the New Jersey air fell like volcanic ash on the sunburned crowd. They had come in overheated Plymouths and air-conditioned Buicks, tiny soccer balls and cleats dangling from their mirrors, Budweiser coolers nestled on the front-seat vinyl. The trail of tail lights had meandered slowly into the asphalt moat that ringed the stadium. A voice had announced that the game would be delayed because hundreds of fans were trapped in Lincoln Tunnel.

Chinaglia watched intensely as Beckenbauer dribbled past a Seattle forward and pressed on toward the center circle. The Sounders fullbacks stepped back nearer their own goal and Chinaglia moved with them, silently hunting his favorite trophy, a goal.

Beckenbauer sprinted with the ball past Rodger Davies before dumping a pass to the left wing. Davies, the Sounders center foward, was leading the league in scoring points with 23 goals and nine assists for a total of 55. Chinaglia had 54 points--one fewer assist.

The Cosmos' left wing, Julio Cesar Romero, raced downfield, keeping the ball at his nimble feet. He rifled a pass through a crowd of Seattle defenders to Vladislav Bogicevic who had moved within ten yards of the goal, just off the left post. The crowd cheered, eager for action after 25 minutes of scoreless soccer.

Meanwhile, Chinaglia crept closer. In an instant he was free, directly in front of the Sounders' goal. Bogicevic dribbled for a moment, seeking an opening. A Seattle fullback charged. Bogie shuttled the ball to Chinaglia, who glanced at Brand, crouched in the goal. The ball struck Chinaglia's right foot and he shifted his weight to kick it with his left. But his trap was faulty, the ball slid between his legs, an amateurish error. The Sounders took the ball back upfield as the crowd booed, a moose call building like a jet taking off. Chinaglia trotted a few steps, his head down, his fists clenched.

Moments later, Bogie slipped the ball to Romero charging in from the left. Romero's shot tore into the right corner of the net, and the Cosmos led, 1-0. Brand shook his head and clenched his fists.

With five minutes remaining in the first half, Chinaglia saw Francois Van der Elst in front of the goal. He faked and tapped the ball to Van der Elst, who whirled and slammed a second goal past Brand. Chinaglia's assist tied him for the league scoring lead.

It was not a neat play but Van der Elst leaped high in the air. Chinalgia smiled. The Sounders shook their heads and clenched their fists.

Early in the second half, Chinaglia eased back toward midfield. Beckenbauer chipped the ball across to him. Chinaglia took a hesitant step, drawing the defender closer. Then with a burst of speed he darted toward the goal, easily passing two Sounders and dribbling by a third. Two men and Brand still stood between him and the goal.

Thirty yards out, he planted his left foot and booted the ball in a fierce low arc past the startled, diving Brand into the right corner of the goal. Chinaglia jumped, raised his hands over his head, and embraced the grinning Beckenbauer.

The Cosmos won, 3-1. No one booed.