Activists Pledge Registration Resistance

Boston Group Plans Post Office Sit-in

Local anti-registration activists announced plans yesterday for a sit-in at Boston's main post office when draft registration begins in two weeks.

Local groups also promised to provide counseling, information and legal help for those who decide to resist registration.

President Carter Wednesday signed the registration bill, which requires all men born in 1960 and 1961 to register between July 21 and August 2.

Inform Me

The Boston Alliance Against Registration and the Draft (BAARD), is organizing the sit-in support rally on the 21st, a series of information sessions for July 10 and 17, and a rally July 19. The group is also currently organizing a leafletting campaign designed to place canvassers outside many area post offices as possible during the two weeks of registration.

The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC), will provide counseling for those who refuse to register or who register and decide to take conscientious objecter status.

The National Lawyers Guild in Boston will open a separate legal referral service and office within the next two weeks, spokesmen said.

Meanwhile, Frank Affilito, a BAARD member, was sentenced to six months probation Wednesday morning for refusing to leave federal property. He and four others staged a five-hour sit-in in April in the Boston offices of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54 (D-Mass.) in an attempt to persuade the Senator to join an anti-registration filibuster.

Eric B. Fried '80, another member of the "Kennedy Five," will be sentenced August 22