GSD Administrator

Kate Rooney, a former administrator at Princeton, the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Boston City Hospital, will fill the newly created post of associate dean for administration at the Graduate School of Design (GSD)

Rooney, who graduated from Princeton, will be responsible for financial management and general administration at the GSD. Her specific role will entail giving the school a closer knit administrative organization and introducing new management controls.

As part of a major reorganization urged last year by President Bok, the GSD is transferring a third of its faculty and student body--the public policy-oriented City and Regional Planning Program--to the Kennedy School of Government.

The purpose of this shift, Bok said last fall, is to consolidate the University's public policy and management programs while allowing the GSD to reestablish itself as a relatively small school emphasizing the physical design aspects of the environment and preparing students for careers in architecture, urban design and planning, and landscape architecture.

Rooney has also served as a management consultant to Boston's Employment and Economic Policy Administration, Brandeis University and the School of Public Health. Gerald M. McCue, dean of the GSD, could not be reached for comment yesterday.