Columbia Considers Admitting Women

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

NEW YORK--Columbia faculty members Tuesday approved a resolution authorizing a committee to explore the possibilities of admitting women to the school.

The resolution authorizes a committee of alumni, faculty members, administrators and students to "study the means for and implications of beginning coeducation in Columbia College."

Columbia is currently the only Ivy League school which does not admit women.

The committee will consider a recent report from the Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid (CAFA) which recommended that Columbia admit women as transfer students starting next fall and as freshmen beginning in 1982.

The committee's duties will include assessing the cost of the change to coeducation.

"Although the actual resolution only approves a committee to look into the question, there seems to be a solid consensus among the faculty that the school has waited too long," Pete Brown, a reporter for the Columbia Spectator, said yesterday.

The committee will present its findings to the faculty and administration, and "will probably get into the hands of the trustees quite quickly," Arnold Collery, dean of the College, said.