CUE Considers Modification Of Make-up Examination Rules

The Committee on Undergraduate Education yesterday discussed a proposed change in the rules for make-up examinations which would allow professors in certain courses to deny students course credit for not taking the final exam.

Under the proposal by Gregory J. Nagy, professor of Latin and Greek, certain courses would be designated in the course catalogue as not permitting make-up exams. Any student in these courses who did not take the final exam for whatever reason, would lose credit for the course.

The proposal requires professors in these courses to submit an official mid-term grade for all students late in the term. If a student did not take the final exam, this mid-term grade would appear on his transcript, although the grade would not count towards rank listing or honors degree requirements.

All CUE members present expressed concern over the severity of loss of credit as a means of deterring "sick-outs," and questioned the recourse open to those who missed the final due to legitimate illness.

Jurij Striedter, professor of Slavic Languages and Literature, suggested that Nagy's proposal be modified allowing certain courses to have optional finals. Students not taking the final examination, no matter what the reason, would be evaluated on their performance throughout the term.

George C. Homans '32, associate dean of undergraduate education and chairman of CUE, agreed with Striedter's plan, but advocated making the final required.

If a student had a legitimate excuse for missing the final, the professor could give him a grade based on his work throughout the term, Homans suggested.

Most members of the committee agreed with this plan, and its de-emphasis on final exams but felt it would encourage "sick-outs" rather than deter them.

Nagy is drawing up a modified plan for the next CUE meeting incorporating several of the proposed changes. The new plan is expected to include three options:

* a course could have a final exam and a obligatory make-up exam for those students with legitimate excuses.

* a course could not require a final.

* a course could require a final exam, but no make-up exam would be necessary if the professor had substantial information on which to base a grade.

Striedter suggested the revised proposal include a means for controlling the third option, preventing professors and students from "making deals." The proposal also dealt with specific make-up requirements for full-year and pass/fail courses.