Sox Lose, 10-5; East Tied Up

The incredibly tight American League East race got a little bit closer last night, with the Red Sox losing to Milwaukee 10-5, and the Tigers and the Orioles postponed until this afternoon because of rain.

As of now, therefore, Detroit and Milwaukee are tied up at the top of the standings, with the Tigers at 28-20, (.583), and the Brewers just percentage points behind at 29-21 (.580).

The Tigers have four games left, including today's makeup and three games in Milwaukee over the weekend. The Brewers have only the Detroit series to play. The Red Sox--a game and a half out with just three to go--have been virtually eliminated from the race, since the winner of the Detroit-Milwaukee series will likely take the second season championship and earn the right to face the Yankees in next week's first round of playoffs.

One possible Red Sox championship scenario would occur should the Tigers lost today, and then proceed to win one of three from the Brewers, while the Red Sox sweep the Cleveland series. That would leave the Sox and the Brewers tied at 30-22 for the second half, with Detroit at 29-23.