Assembly Picks New Officers For Committees

Members of the Student Assembly elected chairmen to their committees on student life, students' rights, academics, and social events, at their second meeting of the year last night.

In addition to the elections, the assembly had been scheduled to hear a report on minority representation in the proposed new student council.

But Andrew B. Herrmann '82, chairman of the student committee that is drafting a constitution for the council, declined to give the report because the assembly meeting was open to members of the press.

Herrmann and other members of the constitution committee, which includes representatives of seven minority groups, have refused to discuss publicly the specific results of their meetings, but several reports indicate they are nearing a decision (see article above).

During the elections last night, Carlos Rodriguez '82 defeated opponents Sharon J. Orr '83 and Daniel Collins '85 to become chairman of the students' rights committee.

In brief campaign speeches before the voting, all three candidates called for close scrutiny of the Administrative Board, the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities (CRR) and alleged sexual harrassment at Harvard.

Rodriguez, who served last year as head of the committee on student life, said in his speech that he would concentrate his efforts on producing a "students' rights handbook" which would explain in detail the workings of the Ad Board and the CRR.

In the other elections, Scott Falk '85 was chosen as chairman of the committee on academics; Shelley McMillan '83 was voted chairman of the committee of social events; and Jonathan Shapiro '84, was named in an uncontested election to head the committee on students life.