Crimson Flips Disk to Victory; Ultimate Frisbee Soaring High

Somewhere outside the spectating mainstream of Dartmouth weekend, the Harvard Ultimate Frisbee Club outscored its rivals from the North, 19-17.

Dropping behind, 4-1, early in the game, Harvard put on a brief spurt to take a 6-4 lead. The Crimson never trailed the rest of the way.

Those who know nothing about Ultimate Frisbee except that it is inherently California know even less than they think they do. Ultimate Frisbee's birthplace is Colonial High School in New Jersey, and its current hot-bed is the Northeast.

The game is played by two teams of seven on a field 70 yards long by 30 yards wide. Following a "pull-off," the equivalent of a face-off or kick-off in other sports, one team tries to advance to the other's goal line by completing passess to teammates. No running with the disc is allowed. A point is scored when a team member catches a pass in the end zone.

Because possession changes hands whenever a pass is intercepted or the Frisbee hits the ground, Ultimate Frisbee is a fluid, transition game. Players are ostensibly in good physical condition and adept at all phases of the game--throwing, catching, running offense and defense.

Different aspects of the game appeal to different players. Jon Epstein, captain of the Harvard team, says, "The biggest attraction to me is that people of any size can play. The big guy doesn't always have an advantage."

Teammate Ted Teele likes the idea that the sport "combines the fun of throwing Frisbees around with the concepts of team sports."

Whatever the game's appeal, since its invention in the late '60s, its popularity has soared. Ultimate Frisbee teams have sprung up in high schools and even junior highs, and interest on the college club level has risen to the point that there are few schools that don't have teams.

Since its inception in 1975, Harvard's Ultimate Frisbee club has experienced varying degrees of success.

Following its win over Dartmouth, the 1981-1982 version of the club holds a 12-4 record and heads into sectional tournament competition. According to Teele, the team may be the best squad in the club's history. Recently the club played close to Boston Aerodynamics--last year ranked number two in the country. Harvard dropped the contest, 15-11.

But apart from the results, what the team seems to enjoy most is the camaraderie in participation. Comprised of people of all ages, sexes and occupations, the only things the members have in common is affiliation with Harvard, and, as Teele says, "love for the game of Ultimate Frisbee."