Women Boot Green; Carillo Sparks Win

The women's soccer team turned the Business School field into a firing range Saturday, but didn't let Dartmouth get many shots off in a one-sided 8-0 contest.

By a happy coincidence, the win raised the Crimson's record to 8-0.

Freshman midfielder Alicia Carrillo led the Crimson barrage with a personal salvo of three goals, all scored within the first 25 minutes of the game. Additional firepower was provided by freshman striker Kelly Landry, who scored two goals.

This was the second consecutive game in which the Carrillo-Landry duo combined for five tallies.

Unchallenged by their foes, the Crimson booters polished their ball-control offense in preparation for two important contests next week: UConn on Wednesday and Princeton on Saturday, both at home.

Although Dartmouth's defense has held its apponents to less than two goals four times this season, the Big Green offense has scored only once on the way to an 0-7-1 record.

Fueled by Carrillo's hat trick and one of Landry's goals, the Crimson chalked up a 4-0 halftime lead. Despite the margin, coach Bob Scalise lectured his players for their reckless kick-and-run attack and told them to switch to a more careful ball-control offense.

The Crimson responded with four more goals in the second stanza. At 9:20 Landry followed up her own rattler off the post, and midway through the period, senior midfielder Inga Larson put in a tremendous drive from the right sideline.

Senior Ellen Jakovic capped a sharp Harvard passing sequence at 35:30 with her first goal of the season, and co-captain Cat Ferrante ended the scoring with a long assist from freshman Debbie Field.

"We played better in the second half," assistant coach Susanna Kaplan said after the game. "They were putting a lot of pressure on us early. The strategy was to pass it back more, control it."

The Crimson will strive for this more precise attack when the squad faces the Huskies this week in a pivotal EAIAW contest.

"UConn is strong and fast. They like to send it long and go after it," Kaplan said. "It'll be a good, close game."

Fueled by Carrillo's hat trick and one of Landry's goals, the Crimson chalked up a 4-0 halftime lead. Carrillo got things rolling for the Crimson at 1:22 into the game, talking a lead pass from co-captain Cat Ferrante down the middle of the field, outracing three Dartmouth defenders, and pumping a shot pass Dartmouth goalie Sarah Burrell into the upper right corner of the net.

Fifteen minutes later, the Crimson unleashed a three-punch combination: Carrillo lofted a shot into the goal's upper left reaches, Landry blasted a grounder back the reach of a diving Burrell, and Carrillo shipped a rainbow over the head of the beleaguered goalie to cap the first half scoring.

THE NOTEBOOK: Landry upped her team-high goal total to 14. At one point in the game, the freshman had a sideline chat with Harvard soccer legend Sue St. Louis, whose scoring records she is now challenging. St. Louis is now living in Watertown and training in computers for the John Hancock Company. Saturday was her first view of Harvard soccer as an alumna...Joan Elliot, last year's freshman stand-out, also joined the crowd on the bench. Elliot attends as many games as possible while taking a year off