Eliot Walks Over Lowell; Dunster Defeats Winthrop

Lowell House ran their own version of the Multiflex offense yesterday in House football action, and the net results were not all that surprising.

They got crunched.

An overpowering Eliot squad rode the passing of quarterback Andy St. Pierre and bounced Lowell around the gridiron, 34-0. Lowell House has not scored a touchdown since 1978.

In other action yesterday, Mather-Dunster stopped a late fourth-quarter Winthrop drive only eight yards away from the endzone to take the game, 6-0.

The first play of the Eliot-Lowell game saw St. Pierre return the Lowell kickoff to their own 30-yd. line to set up tailback Randy Yanker's four-yd. trot into the endzone, putting E-House in front, 7-0.

Minutes later, St. Pierre connected for a 54-yd. touchdown pass to tight end Mike Elliott. And, with only a minute remaining in the first half, another St. Pierre-to-Elliott six-point combination forced Lowell to leave the field trailing 20-0.

E-House's momentum continued to mount early in the second half as St. Pierre once again located one of his wide receivers alone in the endzone and subsequently completed his third touchdown toss of the day, a 26-yd. completion to Doug Coatesworth.

A Lowell fumble on their own 22-yd. line allowed Yanker to score his second touchdown of the contest as he broke away for a 19-yd. gallop into the endzone, producing Eliot's final score.

Needless to say, Eliot dominated all aspects of the game. But Lowell's glaring weak point was its inability to provide any legitimate defense against Eliot's most potent weapon--the pass. St. Pierre threw the football wherever and whenever he wanted.

"It was a very fine team performance that was complemented by a few fine individuals," said St. Pierre. "I wasn't touched all day. The offensive and defensive lines did a great job."

Actually, St. Pierre put it mildly. The Eliot defense immobilized any potential Lowell drive, allowing only two first downs the entire game. And an equally impressive offensive line consistently gave St. Pierre more than enough time to execute his passing plays and opened holes in the Lowell defensive line through which Yanker and fullback Sam Soutter could run.

Describing St. Pierre's performance, Elliott and Yanker said, "He's god-like."

In a more closely contested match, Mather quarterback Keith Doud's 40-yd. touchdown connection to tight end Joe Bowen in the third quarter was sufficient to post a 6-0 victory over Winthrop House.

Winthrop, with less than two minutes of playing time remaining in the game, had a perfect opportunity to pull out a win. After recovering a fumble at their own 33-yd. line, Winthrop seemed intent on reaching the endzone and manuevered to the eight-yd. line.

The Mather-Dunster defense, which had been reliable for the span of the game, once again tightened up and halted apossibly devastating drive, forcing Winthrop to relinquish the ball with 54 seconds remaining in the game.

"We sucked it up and played real good defense in the end. The whole game came down to that last defensive stand," Bowen said later.