Brandeis Police Logs

Executives of the Brandeis University student newspaper, The Justice, gained access to the duty logs and incident reports of their school's police department during a meeting with Brandeis officials on Monday.

The Justice's success comes amidst disputes between police and student newspapers over the right to view police logs at two other Boston-area colleges.

Both Boston College's student daily, The Heights, and Boston University's student newspaper, The Free Press, went to court last week after their schools' police departments refused to allow them to examine police duty reports and logs.

At Harvard, reporters are allowed free access to the University police's logs which record every incident the police are involved in.

Mitchell W. Goldman, editor-in-chief of The Justice, said yesterday the newspaper, which has never before requested access to police files, asked for the information in order to design a map of "trouble spots" at Brandeis.

"Our actions were only secondarily stimulated by the developments at B.C. and B.U." Goldman said yesterday.

Wendell C. Brooks, director of security at Brandeis, said that he had no reason to withhold the police department's duty logs and incident reports from The Justice's reporters.