Weld Security

Proctors this week urged the residents of Weld North to take more stringent security precautions after a theft of jewelry and cash in the freshman dorm Monday night.

Two proctors and a University policeman told the 72 students at a meeting Tuesday night that visitors should call their host to open the door for them. They also posted lists of security rules and procedures throughout the dorm, students who attended the meeting said yesterday.

One hundred dollars in jewelry and $12 in cash were stolen from the common room of a suite between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Monday night while one of the suite's occupants was sleeping in her room.

Police suspect that the same person responsible for the Weld theft also committed several thefts at a Law School residential building Monday night, Jack W. Morse, captain of the University Police, said yesterday.

"The police said they caught the guy but can't pin anything on him because anyone who enters the building is a guest of the person who opened the door for them and not a trespasser," a freshman who asked not to be identified said.

Weld has special security problems since there are two entry doors and students in Thayer share the common room, but do not have keys to the building, she added.

Thefts under $100 are down from 230 between July and October of last year to 171 this year, while thefts over $100 have dropped from 185 to 144. Morse cited good police work and good communication between the police, freshmen and proctors as reasons for the decline in thefts.