Alumnae Gather for Fundraising Drive

Year's Personal Donations Pass $1 Million Mark

By Steven M. Arkow

The Radcliffe College Fund began the third year of its five-year fund-raising effort yesterday, as more than 100 alumnae from all over the nation gathered here for an annual one-day conference to promote fund-raising activities, tour renovated Radcliffe facilities, and meet with department heads and students. The campaign has already raised $10 million of its goal of $16.5 million.

The Fund-undertaken in Radcliffe's Centennial Year, 1978-provides the College's only source of money for the Bunting Institute, the Henry A. Murray Research Center, Schlesinger Library, and other Radcliffe-sponsored research programs and financial aid to women, Mary Cox, the Fund's assembly organizer and director of development and alumnae affairs at Radcliffe, said yesterday. Under a 1977 agreement, all other income, such as women's tuition money, is transferred to Harvard.

The Fund has already met one of its goals, obtaining $1 million in personal contributions from alumnae, an increase from 5000 to 6000 donors from last year, Millie Rahn, a Radcliffe publications officer, said yesterday. Organizers also hope to secure $3.5 million in program grants from foundations and corporations and $10 million for new endowments and capital improvement by 1983. It has received $9 million in these areas so far.

Speaking to alumnae in a symposium yesterday, Cox encouraged alumnae to take advantage of the current tax laws, which allow tax deductions for charitable donations, before the new restrictions take effect next year. But Cox said yesterday she expects no negative effect on fund-raising since the substantial reductions in personal income tax will also "increase disposable income."

"Radcliffe will not be damaged because the primary reasons our donors give are not the tax advantages," Cox added.

The fund-raising volunteers heard updates on the success of their ongoing campaign and toured the new quarters of the Henry A. Murray Research Center, located in Radcliffe Yard.

The Murray Center serves as a national repository which collects data and sponsors research studies on the lives of women.