Bar-Hopping in Bruinland

More B.S.

By Bruce Schoenfeld

We are sitting at a bar on Thayer Street when a pudgy, middle-aged man walks in.

"Hey," the guy next to me says to his friend, "You know who that is? That's Buddy Cianci."

"No way, that's not him," his friend says. "Buddy Cianci's shorter; that guy's way too tall."

The guy next to me turn my way.

"Buddy Cianci comes in here all the time," he says. "I think that's him right there."

"That's not him," his friend says, leaning over towards me to be heard. "That guy doesn't look anything like him. I always see him riding his horse. He's a short guy."

The bar is crowded with students and locals. I think about what the mayor of Providence looks like riding a horse. The guy next to me turns my way again.

"Some game tomorrow, huh?"

"Sure," I say.

"You know who I wish was still around?" he asks.

"Who?"

"Rick Villela," he says. "He was some kind of player. These guys today are no good. Not as good as Villela, anyway. Except one. One guy is as good. You know who?"

I don't.

"This Landers. Jeez, he can throw the football. Best passer I've ever seen. Better than Carbone."

"Really?" I say.

"Listen," he says, "you going to the game tomorrow?"

I say that I am.

"You watch this guy Landers. He's got an arm on him like a slingshot, this guy."

At this point, the friend leans over and grabs the arm of the guy next to me.

"You see that guy over there?" he says. "Now, that guy looks like Buddy Cianci." He points to a dark-haired man wearing a trench-coat. "I'm not saying it's him, but that's what he looks like."

"What?" says the guy next to me. "He doesn't look anything like that. In fact, I know that guy."

I look away. After a short time, the guy next to me grabs my arm. "You from Brown?" he asks.

I tell him I am from Harvard and that I write for The Crimson. He asks me about the Harvard team. I tell him what I think about it. He asks me if the Crimson is paying for my drinks. I say no. He doesn't believe me. He asks me what I think about the game.

"Well," I say.

"Listen," he says, "you want to know what I think?"

I say that I do.

"I'll tell you what I think. If I was a betting man, I would say, Brown by four points. Say 28-24. You know why?"

I say that I don't, but just then the friend leans over. "I think that is Buddy Cianci," he says. It is obvious the guy next to me does not agree. The two begin to tussle, trading shoves. We get up to go, leaving the tip on the bar.

Outside the air is cool and there are fewer people around. We start to walk down Thayer Street. When we are half a block down the Street, we hear something behind us. Just then, the guy next to me and his friend are hooved out the door.

They land in a heap at the bottom of the steps as we walk away quickly. "Hey," the guy next to me call out in the night, "Brown by four."

And, Buddy Cianci or not, I'll take him up on it: Brown 28, Harvard 24.

* * *

Crystal Gayle did a great job with last week's picks, but she's back home in Rocky Top, Tenn., and can't be reached for this week's selections. So, after studying the football publications, daily sports pages of 100 major newspapers and the Top 40 pop music charts from 1962-67, I am ready to predict this week myself.

YALE 9, DARTMOUTH 7--It won't be the season's most exciting game, but it might be the best. Yale is everybody's choice to win the league, but if the Green can win this defensive struggle it should go all the way. Lots of defense, not much scoring, and a last second Eli field goal.

PRINCETON 28, PENN 3--Deck Franklin Field with bombs from Holly, fa la la la la...

HOLY CROSS 50 COLUMBIA 2--Holy Cross is 3-1 in the Ivies and gunning for the title. Columbia is back in the doldrums.

BUCKNELL 49, CORNELL 30--The Bisons embarrass the Big Red as yet another conference squad falls to an outsider. Are you listening, Mr. Giamatti?

Last Week: 3-1 Season: 19-12, .613. Number three but trying harder.