Booters Rout Smith In Fourth Straight

The Smith soccer team arrived a half hour late to this weekend's match against Harvard. Rather than going to the Business School Field, the Unicorns went to the Crimson's practice field behind the Palmer Dixon tennis courts. They should have stayed there.

In a game billed as a tune-up for Tuesday's Ivy opener against powerhouse Brown, Harvard exercised its shooting toes and swamped the lackluster Unicorns, 8-0, in spite of the wet and cold Saturday morning, for its second consecutive shutout and its fourth straight victory.

The Crimson dominated throughout the contest, using its clearly superior skills to dribble and pass through the Smith defense almost at will. The booters outshot the Unicorns, 32-3, in a game in which the ball rarely entered the Crimson zone.

During one particularly lopsided ten-minute stretch when the Unicorns barely touched the ball, one Harvard fan said, "Hey, how many people do we have out there? I think we have too many players on the field." It indeed appeared that way, and not just for those ten minutes.

The booters gave the impression of ubiquity because of their creative passing. With the midfielders skillfully combining with the fullbacks as well as the strikers to advance the ball, the Crimson attack looked like white fluid weaving about the harried navy blue-uniformed defenders.

Coach Bob Scalise had to be pleased by the strong team effort in which five different players--four for the first time this season--lit the scoreboard.

Freshman sensation Jenny Greeley began the bombardment with a goal which resulted from a play worked out with men's coach George Ford at Thursday's practice.

Just four minutes into the game, leading scorer Kelly Landry dribbled to her left on the 18-yd. line. Fellow striker Cat Ferrante, starting from Landry's left, circled to the right, "under" Landry, and drew the wing fullback with her.

Landry, with the option of rushing on net herself, fed Greeley, who had cut toward the goal in the lane vacated by Ferrante and her defender. The talented halfback wasted no time putting the Crimson in the lead with a searing left-footed blast into the lower lefthand corner of the goal.

"We worked on 'bending runs' with George on Thursday," Scalise said after the game, adding, "We try to work with him whenever possible. He has good ideas."

With a pair of tallies each by Yardlings Inga Larson and Landry--who now has seven on the season--Harvard had opened the contest up, 5-0, at the half.

On her first goal, Landry displayed the hustle which has helped her become the squad's leading scorer. Twenty minutes into the game, the Lexington native drilled a low drive which the sprawling Smith goalie, Joan Bigwood, just managed to deflect. The ball popped into the air and bounced off the goalpost into the crease. But Landry followed up her shot and easily tapped in the rebound.

Sophomore Merry Ann Moore, starting for the recuperating Alicia Carrillo, started off the Crimson onslaught in the second half. At 4:30, the speedy wing half deftly directed a Laura Mayer crossing pass to the right of the overworked Bigwood. Bigwood pounced on the ball at the goal line, but the force of the drive carried the weary goalic into the twines for the score.

Sub Becky Gaghen gave Smith a lesson in the importance of being in the right place at the right time, knocking home two loose balls in the crease to close out the scoring.

THE NOTEBOOK: Carrillo, whose sprained ankle was still very tender Saturday, should be ready for Tuesday's contest at Brown. Although they dropped two contests this week, 6-1 to UMass and 4-3 to Princeton, the Bruins should be Harvard's toughest opponent to date.