Soc Studs Organize

By Paul A. Engelmayer

In an effort to regain a formal student voice in running the Social Studies concentration, several dozen concentrators met Tuesday night in a strategy and "bull session."

Legislation approved by the Faculty several years ago permits students to have some formal input into concentrations, usually through student-faculty committees, but Soc Stud's student-faculty group "sort of died" two years ago, Jordan Budd, '82-3, co-organizer of Tuesday's meeting, said yesterday.

The disappearance of formal student input came just before a Faculty committee began a six-month review of the concentration last fall calling for sweeping changes in the concentration.

The termination of the student group before the changes--which included the appointment of a new chairman, David S. Landes, Goplet Professor of French History--was "unfortunate timing," Budd said.

Though students at Tuesday's session said a student-faculty committee might ultimately become a forum for grievances about problems in the concentration, Jonathan D. Rabinovitz '82-3, one of the meeting organizers, called the session "to get a general consensus" whether students should re-form the committee. Concentrators will probably elect representatives to the committee in about two weeks, after which they will probably first sit down with faculty representatives, he added.

Several students informally expressed "dissatisfaction" over junior tutorials in the concentration at the meeting, in part because none were being offered about the United States, another student who attended the meeting said yesterday.