NOMATEP Arrests

The two women who were arrested Saturday night on charges of illegally selling alcohol in a private home at a party designed to raise money for legal opposition to Harvard's Medical Area Total Energy Plant (MATEP) will appear in a hearing before a West Roxbury District Court clerk on November 16.

The women, Pamela Rogers and Zoe Sleeth, were scheduled for arraignment yesterday, but excercised their right to a preliminary "show cause" hearing at which the clerk will decide whether the pair should go to court or be dismissed.

On Saturday, police confiscated all the liquor and proceeds collected at the door and bar at the party held at Roger's home in Jamaica Plain. The event was attended by about 50 to 75 members of the NOMATEP coalition, which opposes the construction of the $238 million engine power plant for environmental reasons.

The police then arrested Rogers and Sleeth, charging them, respectively, with the unlawful keeping and exposing of alcoholic beverages, and the unlawful sale of alcohol at the party.

Both Michael O'Laughlin, attorney for Rogers and Sleeth, and police officials yesterday refused to discuss the impending "show cause" hearing. But one court official, who asked not to be identified, said yesterday that the charges would "most likely" be dropped in the preliminary meeting, and that the arrest seemed "frivolous."