Core Science Board

The workload in Core Curriculum science courses varies greatly and some courses may not prove fit to remain in the Core, members of the Core subcommittee on science agreed yesterday.

The general review of all the Core courses is stipulated in the Core Curriculum regulations, and the first-ever review of existing courses will take place this year.

It is not desireable from an educational or equity standpoint to have large workload disparities between courses, Roy G. Gordon, chairman of the subcommittee, said yesterday, adding that it is necessary to monitor how courses are run.

Some instructors have made changes in their courses since their introduction, and the subcommittee wants to ensure that the courses are still fit to remain in the Core, R. Duncan Luce, Whitehead Professor of Psychology, said yesterday.

The members of the subcommittee remain uncertain of what form the review will take. Luce said that professors might be asked to present their course to the subcommittee or that the course might be visited by a professor, who will then report to the subcommittee.

Luce said that allowing students to evaluate a course could lead to some problems, because students' opinions often vary widely. However, Marvin L. Appel '84, a student representative to the subcommittee, said yesterday he favors permitting the students to evaluate the courses. It is important to get the students' perspective, he added.