For Callinan, A Record-Breaking Day

More BS

By Bruce Schoenfeld

Harvard's all-time single-season rushing leader was talking Saturday after the 45-7 thrashing of Penn.

He was talking about his 68-yard touchdown run off left tackle on the game's first play from scrimmage. "We just knew we were going to break that first one," Harvard's all-time single-season rushing leader said.

He was talking about his 66-yard touchdown run up the middle on the game's 105th play from scrimmage. "We hadn't run the play all day," he said about that one, his third touchdown run of the afternoon. It was that run that broke Dick Clasby's 29-year-old record of 950 yards in a single season. "Everything just came together on that play," he said.

And he was talking about his offensive line. "Incredible, they've been just incredible," the new record-holder was saying. "There are seven of them, really, seven starters. We substitute a guard and a tackle every quarter so they're always fresh. They are the best line in the Ivies right now, which is amazing because in September they were supposed to be so green."

In a far corner of the dressing room, his offensive line was talking about him.

"We knew he had a chance to beat the record today," guard Harry Cash was saying, "and [offensive line] coach [Dick] Corbin told us the first play before the game. He said Cals had a chance to break it long if everybody did their jobs right. That second run, he just hit the hole perfectly."

And Mike Corbett added, "Coach Restic said he had three plays to break the record and then he was taking him out, and he did it."

After the second run, which put Harvard ahead, 45-0, fullback Jim Callinan of Westlake, Ohio, left the field, although there were nine minutes remaining in the third quarter. He did not return, even though he needed only 47 yards more to break the single-game rushing record that has stood since 1937. Even though he needed only six more yards to become the first 1000-yard rusher in Harvard history.

"The single-game thing never even entered my mind, I wasn't interested in that," Callinan said. And as for the thousand, he'd rather get it at Yale.

It was at Yale that people first began to take notice of Jim Callinan. That was two years ago, when an underdog Crimson squad--given no chance to upset the undefeated Elis--won a stunning, 22-7 victory. Jim Callinan, lifetime 21 carries for 120 yards entering the game, led all rushers with 73 yards on 18 carries. It was his best day ever. He has had 11 better since.

Eight of those have come this year. He opened with a 103-yard performance at Columbia. He added 85 two weeks later at Army, and 108 the week after at Cornell. He gained 78 in a loss to Dartmouth, and then rushed for the second-highest single-game total in Harvard history, 190 yards against Princeton the following Saturday. He ran for 120 at Brown, 88 at William and Mary. Throw in 39 yards against Holy Cross in week number two and you have 806 yards total for the season.

He was in third place on the single-season list before Saturday's first play.

Bobby Leo's mark of 827 fell on that opening run. From there it was 123 to Clasby, and he was 22 away when he took the handoff from Cuccia on the 105th snap of the afternoon. He was 44 in front when he stopped running.

If it had been a close game, Callinan would be a 1000-yard rusher right now and probably the single-game record holder as well. "You want to think of Cals and you also want to let some people see some action," Joe Restic said, "You can't do both, because that's the way people get injured."

And so Mike Ernst and Ted Polich and Steve Ernst and Will Saleeby carried the ball the rest of the way. Jim Callinan rested on the sidelines. In the two-and-a-half quarters he saw action, Harvard's single-season rushing leader also managed to catch six passes for 86 yards (both game highs) as well as rush for his seventh, eighth and ninth touchdowns this season.

One more touchdown and he'll tie another 29-year-old record; this one held by John Culver, who rushed for ten in 1972.

That, too, will wait for The Game. "There isn't really much of a similarity between two years ago and now, just that Yale is undefeated," Callinan said, 20 minutes before the news of Princeton's win would filter down to the press room.

But Harvard is hoping there is a similarity--and that Jim Callinan will again lead the squad to victory. Jim Callinan, The Name of The Game of '78, is ready.