Princeton Hands Elis First Loss, 35-31

Ivy League Football Wrap-Up

By Becky Hartman

And you thought The Game wasn't going to mean anything.

Princeton did Saturday what eight other teams have been unable to do: defeat Yale and turn the Ivy League championship into a legitimate race.

With 15 seconds left and Yale leading, 31-29. Princeton quarterback Bob Holly dove over the Eli defense and gave Princeton a 35-31 victory.

Just 90 seconds before, Yale seemed on its way to its ninth straight victory. Princeton was caught on its own 24-yard line with fourth down and ten yards to go, but Holly threw into a crowd and Tiger receiver Steve Oostdyk came down with the ball to give the Tigers a first down, keeping alive the drive that led to the winning touchdown.

Several passes later, Princeton found itself on the 20-yard line with 15 seconds left. The Tigers decided to forego the field goal, and try for the touchdown. Holly passed to Derek Graham in the end zone, where he was clipped by Yale's Pat Cochran. The penalty put Princeton on the one-yard line, and Holly carried it in on the next play.

Holly had an exceptional game, completing 36 passes in 55 attempts for 501 yards, an Ivy League record, and leading his team back from a 21-0 first-half deficit. Rich Diana had his usual outstanding game, rushing for 222 yards.

Dartmouth, now tied for first place in the Ivy League with a 5-1 mark, had no problem disposing of Brown, 38-13. Bruin tailback Vince Stephens fumbled to Rob Carrel one minute into the game, setting up Dartmouth's first touchdown, and from there Brown never looked back.

Big Green quarterback Frank Polsinello had a terrific second half, closing out the day with 199 yards, and completing 16 out of 23 attempts.

In a battle for the Ivy basement, Columbia ended up in the cellar, losing to Cornell, 15-9. Big Red tailback Derrick Harmon scored both Cornell touchdowns and ran for 178 yards.

With one weekend to go, Yale and Dartmouth are tied for first place with a 5-1 mark. Harvard and Princeton are tied for second with 4-1-1 records, followed by Cornell (2-4), and Brown and Columbia (1-5).