Pitt Downs B.C., 29-24

By Howard N. Mead

Mighty Dan Marino and his number-two ranked Pittsburgh Panthers football team came to Chestnut Hill to play Boston College Saturday. In a game that both sides tried their best to lose, Pitt came away with a 29-24 win and--thanks to a loss by number-one Penn State--a shot at the top spot in this week's polls. But many of those in the crowd were left wondering if the real Panthers hadn't stayed in Pittsburgh and sent a team of imposters for this Halloween showdown.

Turnovers

Ahead 29-24 with just over eight minutes left, Marino and company turned the ball over three times inside their own 40-yard line. The first two times Marino threw interceptions, so Pitt coach Jackie Sherrill decided to grind it out on the ground. The result was a fumble by Bryan Thomas.

After two of these turnovers, Boston College drove to within nine yards of the winning touchdown. But, with a holding penalty, a missed field goal, and a fumble of their own, the Eagles were able to match the Panthers error for error.

Marino came into the game the nation's most highly touted quarterback, but on this day he wasn't even the best on Alumni Field. Doing his best to look as wild and innovative as the early Fran Tarkenton. Boston College's Doug Flutie stole the spotlight. Throwing underhand, sidearing on the run, and while falling down, Flutie accounted for 304 yards through the air against the nation's best defense and kept his team in it up to the end.