Freshman, J.V.s, Triumph on Gridiron

J. V. Gridders Defeat Bulldogs

By John J. Nicholas, Special to the Crimson

The Harvard J.V. football team ended its season on an upbeat note yesterday, defeating Yale 19-14 before more than 200 rain-soaked fans in New Haven:

Sloppy field conditions did not slow down the Crimson's potent passing attack, led by seniors Joe Lahti and Mike Buchanan, who threw for more than 200 vards on the day.

The aerial display commenced on Harvard's first possession of the second quarter with a perfectly executed screen pass that clicked for a 78-yard touchdown. The gridders, playing no-holds arred football in their last game of the year, went for the two-point conversion and reached paydirt on a slick run around end.

The Crimson increased their lead to 14-0 when an alert defensive back scooped up a Yale fumble on the Eli 25 yard line and scooted in for the score. Harvard scored again on a two-point conversion

Yale bounced back in the third quarter as Eli linebacker and defensive stalwart John Piazza intercepted a pass on the Crimson's 34-yard line which set up a John White 15-yard touchdown run. The Bulldogs scored the two-point conversion on a leaping endzone grab by split end Scott Sheldon.

Harvard regained the momentum with a 60-yard run from its own 20, which set up a wind-aided but nevertheless spectacular 37-yard field goal.

With three minutes left in the game. Yale brought the alumni-filled crowed to its feet with a 30-yard touchdown pass to receiver Jeff Schultz. The TD brought the Elis within five points of evening the score.

Yale failed to make the two-point conversion but recovered an onside kick, and moved deep within Harvard territory during the final minute of play.

Faced with an Eli first and ten on their own 20-yard line, the Crimson defenders thwarted two consecutive Yale running plays and then intercepted a desperate Bulldog pass on third down to clinch the victory.