Junior Elected

By Jeffrey A. Edelstein

Defying the notion that a 20-year-old's proper place is in the classroom and the dormitory, Daniel M. Pallotta '83 yesterday was elected to the school committee in Melrose.

Pallotta polled a total of 4802 votes, second in a field of ten, to win a spot on the nine-member committee. His two-year term will begin in January.

"I really wasn't expecting it," Pallotta said last night at a victory celebration in his home attended by more than 30 friends and relatives who helped him throughout his campaign. "I was figuring fifth or sixth," the new committee member added.

Despite a "tiresome and confusing" last week and an "active" election day--5 a.m. wake-up and non-stop scurrying between the ten polling places and prominent street corners, where he stood with a placard--Pallotta admitted that "all the work paid off."

Proud Pop

"This was predicted by quite a few people," Anthony Pallotta Jr., the victor's father, said. "Dan's organization determined a lot," he added.

Pallotta raised $865 during the campaign, more money than any other candidate. However, total campaign costs will exceed $1000, Pallotta said.