Women on the ERA

By William D. Savedoff

Predicting victory for the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), a congresswoman and two political activists called last night for renewed efforts in the '80s to advance rights for women on "all women's issues," from abortion to budget cuts.

In a forum sponsored by the Harvard-Democratic Club, Rep. Geraldine Ferraro (D-N.Y.) said she has "utmost confidence" that the ERA will pass before its June 1982 deadline. "Women are the poorest segment of our economy" and are disproportionately hurt by cuts in social service spending, she added.

In response to the forum's central question "What happens after ERA?" Dr. Sally Lunt, Vice-chairman for the National Women's Political Caucus, said her group "will be doing what it has been doing since 1971, helping elect feminists to political office" at all levels of government.

Cynthia Madeiros, president of the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Organization for Women said progressive groups must work together in the coming decade. She noted that one of the effects of President Reagan's emphasis on Block Grant funding would be to force social service groups to "fight among themselves for the funds."

Ferraro said the Democratic National Committee will come out in two weeks with a policy statement on women's issues.