Solidarity's Emergence: A Chronology

Jul 2, 1980: Government measures double the price of meat, setting off strikes in many parts of the country.

Aug. 23: Deputy premier Mieczyslww Jaglielski informs strikers at the Lenin shipyards in Gdansk he will negotiate their 21 demands, which include freedom of speech, independent trade unions and access to the media by the Roman Catholic church.

Aug. 31: Jaglielski and Solidarity leader Lech Walesa sign an agreement ending the strikes in Gdansk and recognizing workers' rights to form trade unions independent of the Communist party.

Sept. 5: The Central Committee ousts Edward Gierek as the Communist party's leader, replacing him with little-known functionary Stanislaw Kania.

Sept. 17: A committee of 35 local free trade unions decides to form a nationwide independent union called Solidarity.

Jan. 10, 1981: Millions of Poles stay off the job to demand an end to Saturday as a workday. Warning strpkes continue periodically.

Jan. 24: Solidarity's call to boycott Saturday work is heeded by millions of workers

Feb. 23: Soviet president Leonid Brezhnev tells a Soviet party congress that "the pillars of the socialist state" are in jeopjrdy in Polanb.

March 18: The Polish news media announce the beginning of large-scale Warsaw Pact military exrecises in and around Poland.

March 24: After fruitless talks with government officials in Bydgoszcz, Walesa threatens a nationwide strike if Polish

March 30: Walesa and government negotiators reach agreement that heads of a general strike.

April 7: Warsaw Pact military maneuvers, extended past the anticipated closing date, are officially reported to end.

July 13: The government unveils a drastic new economic recovery program that could boost living costs 55 per cent.

Aug. 7: Almost one million workers strike for four hours in the Silesian industrial belt to demand remedies for the food shortages.

Aug. 12: Solidarity leaders call for an end to strikes and food protests.

Aug. 31: Workers, quietly marking the first anniversary of Solidarity, must cope with new price hikes of 300 to 400 perscent for bread and other food items.

Sept. 28: The dissident committee for social self-defense (KOR) announces its disbandment, saying it is no longer needed as a result of Solidarity's existence.

Oct. 18: Polish Communist Party Politburo ousts Stanislaw Kania as party leader and replaces him with Jaruzelski. The party leadership calls for a ban on strikes but the order is not implemented.

Oct. 28: Solidarity stages nationwide warning strike to protest handling of the economy and press demands for access to the media.

Nov. 2: A wave of wildcat strikes protesting food shortages eases as Walesa tours the country trying to restore labo-peace.

Nov. 4: Walesa, Jaruzelski and Cardinal Glemp hold an unprecedented "domestic summit" in hopes of paving the way for a broad front of national accord to solve the nation's problems.

Nov. 12: Students at Polish universities declare a student strike to press demands for academic reform.

Nov. 28: Premier Jaruzelski tells the Communist party central committee that strikes and anarchy must be halted, or it will lead to a state of emergency. The party leaders call for "extraordinary measures" to end the nation's labor turmoil.

Dec. 2: Riot police swoop down on Warsaw firefighters school and end an eight-day sit-in by 320 cadets demanding academic reforms.

Dec. 6: Warsaw chapter of Solidarity calls for mass demonstrations Dec. 17 and urges formation of worker guards to protect unionists.

Dec. 7: Austria reimposes visa requirements on Poles, cutting off the principal avenue of escape for Poles seeking to defect to the West.

Dec. 8: Polish media launch a strong attack on Solidarity, quoting Walesa as telling a private meeting that confrontation with the regime is inevitable. Walesa says his remarks were taken out of context.

Dec. 12: Solidarity's national commission meets in Gdansk and adopts resolutions threatening a general strike if the government enacts an emergency powers bill. Unionists demand free elections and other reforms.

Dec. 13: Jaruzelski declares martial law and says Solidarity leaders would be interned in what he calls an effort to save Poland from "the abyss."