Raquetmen Squash Navy, 9-0

Defuse Hard-Hitting Minutemen

By John Rippey

The Harvard men's squash team wrote the latest chapter in its 23-year winning streak against Navy yesterday at Hemenway as the squad, led by freshman David Boyum, trashed a competitive (read: "eager to compete") Midshipman squad, 9-0. Even if the Midshipmen haven't won an actual dual match since before any of yesterday's competitors were born, it's almost certain that they never lose a warm-up. These guys stand with their noses up against the front wall and bash the ball so hard in the pre-match rallies that there's no way their oppent can return it. It's funny to watch, but don't forget, it is a psych move: servicemen take their squash seriously.

Power alone, however, doesn't hold up once you start keeping score, especially against teams like Harvard (read: talented and well-coached). There were few close struggles in the best-of-five contests.

Boyum, co-captain Mitch Reese (3), Charlie Duffy (5), and Jim Lubowitz (9) dismissed their opponents in three games, Boyum taking a particularly impressive plunge into his Harvard squash career by outclassing Christopher Newman, 15-4, 15-12, 15-4. The freshman edged out Lubowitz by two for the Least-Points-Surrendered award.

Co-captain Chip Robie (2), Spenser Brog (6), John Dinneen (7), and Tal Johnson (8) followed their teammates' lead in close suit, closing out their matches in four games.

"Geordie Lemmon is verging on superstardom," said coach Dave Fish before the match. He's just got to decide he wants it; the only thing holding him back is his head."

But the 6-ft. 6-in. junior was the only racquetman extended to five games yesterday, as he abandoned the Harvard creed of patterns and placement to hold a bang session with Midshipman Tim Tinney and struggle to a 9-15, 15-12, 16-14, 16-17, 15-10 win.

Said Navy coach Dave Brown of the Harvard mentor: "Dave Fish is the fines; teacher in the country for two reasons. One, his teams are always prepared, and two, his in-match advice is impeccable. I learn just from playing aginst his teams."