LaRouche Group

An anti-environmentalist group this week began soliciting signatures on campus for a petition urging Congress to ratify the Nuremberg Code, which states that genocide is a crime against humanity under international law.

The Fusion Energy Foundation (FEF) decided to start the drive after President Reagan failed to rescind the "Global 2000" report, made part of this country's foreign policy under former President Jimmy Carter, Michael Gelber, a member of the group, said yesterday.

The report, which was endorsed by Secretary of State Edmund Muskie in July 1980, calls for a leveling off of the world's population growth so that by the year 2000 there would be two billion fewer people than if no such policy had been undertaken.

The administration said the policy was necessary to control famine and other problems resulting from lack of resources.

FEF considers the "Global 2000" a "global genocide 100 times worse than Hitler," Gelber said, adding that the group will fight for the cancellation of the policy.

About five years ago, the group was initiated by the International Caucus of Labor Committees (ICLC), whose chairman Lyndon LaRouche was a presidential candidate in 1980.

FEF's objective is to "destroy credibility of the Malthusian argument of over-population," Gelber said.

FEF is committed to policies of "exponentially expanding scientific, technological, and industrial progress," Steven Komm, a member of the group, said yesterday.

In order to accomplish such "progress," conservationism and environmentalism must be discarded, and nuclear energy must be used more extensively, for it is both "crucial and a solution," Gelber said.

"These are the demented ravings of Lyndon LaRouche and his clones, and no one should ever expect any correspondence between what they say and reality," Congressman Barney Frank '61 (R-Mass.), one of 72 representatives co-sponsoring a resolution endorsing the "Global 2000" document, said last night.

The drive has thus far accounted for roughly 300 signatures.