Reckless Pedestrianism

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

The daily flow of traffic from the Yard to the main Science Center entrance is a veritable menace: people barbarically push and shove to fight their ways through, jeopardizing those around them with threatening jabs from umbrellas, pencils and whatever else is available. A continual fear of being kicked, socked or knocked down and trampled by aggressive students only adds to the unpleasantness of the situation.

As a solution, I suggest that the two through-ways be marked with "in" and "out" signs, since opening the main gate which would permit a fast, free flow of traffic is undoubtedly too drastic an action for the Harvard authorities who demand that it be kept locked. This is a relatively economical solution, which, I believe, will produce beneficial results. Sarah Ellison '85

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Today it was very rainy and passing through the gates from the Science Center to the Yard was nerve-racking. People couldn't make it with umbrellas and opposing traffic had to take turns going through while rain poured.

This did not bother me as much as when I walked through the very same gates at 10 p.m. and found the huge gate that is locked during the day time opened.

I can't but wonder why the huge gate, which could easily alleviate the traffic problem, is opened early in the morning until nine or so, closed during the 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00 rush hours, and opened later on in the evening when traffic is not as great. I think that it would make more sense to have the gate opened during rush hours at least and then do what they will with it when there is virtually no traffic.

I don't mean to be picky, but the whole idea of opening the gate when it's little needed and closing it when it causes the most trouble is ludicrous. I hope that someone with the authority will do something about it--or is it a part of the Harvardian Policy to be difficult.   L. Gerome Smith '84