Classics Take Own Path to the Hoop

The 'Classic Experience'

When Harvard Classics basketball takes to the courts, it isn't to the cheers of packed IAB stands. The Classics belong to the nebulous world of club sport at Harvard, high on skill and low on funding.

But the Classics exist by choice on a different level of competition from the better-funded varsity teams. John Harvey, then a member of the committee on General Education, created the Classics eight years ago as "an alternative to varsity basketball," according to Classics veteran Bill Campbell. With a policy of letting everyone play in each game, the goal, says Campbell, "is to have a good time--to play really good basketball and to be serious about it, and yet have no cutthroat competition."

Even though they practice just once a week, the Classics are no hackers at their game. Classics try-outs take place right after varsity and junior varsity cuts, and 14 of the 16 players on the current roster were once with the varsity or J.V. Some quit for lack of playing time with the varsity. Others, like Dave Coatsworth--who started for the varsity most of his freshman year--quit when varsity became too great a time commitment.

Two years ago the Classics compiled a 29-3 record against a hodgepodge of other schools' club-level and J.V. teams. Says Coatsworth, "We could have given the varsity a run for their money."

But last year the team suffered from problems involving a non-student coach. "I don't want to say it was our worst year, but it was our most disorganized," says Campbell. This year the Classics are totally player-run. Current captain Glenn Mills is handling the scheduling--a task made difficult by the scarcity of court time at the IAB--and Campbell is handling finances.

The major expense for the Classics each year, ahead of uniforms and game balls, is the almost-annual spring trip. Though last year's travel plans fell through, the Classics have had previous trips to Portugal, Puerto Ricca and Morocco. Two years ago they traveled to Cuba, where they played four games against the Cuban Olympic team ("They smugged us," says Campbell). This year's Classics are planning a trip to Copenhagen, Denmark, where they'll play a series of university and club-level squads and possibly even conduct a short basketball clinic.

Before then, the Classics will take on a lineup of as many as 30 squads, including Harvard's J.V. hoopsters twice. So far, they've split in their first two matchups.

Campbell thinks this year's Classics may be the most talented ever. But more important than a winning record is the chance to play good basketball without the pressures of varsity sports. It really is, Campbell says, "a classic experience."