Freshmen Lead Racquetwomen To 15-0 Destruction of Brown

By Marco L. Quazzo

Harvard's women's squash team continued to annihilate its competition yesterday with a quick dispatching of a hapless Brown squad in Providence, R.I. The Bruins managed to win only two games, allowing the racquetwomen to walk off with a clean sweep of the 15 matches.

Coming on the heels of an equally easy match against Tufts last Thursday, yesterday's sashay through Providence upped the Crimson's season slate to 2-0. A Harvard female squash player has yet to lose a match this year, as the varsity and J.V. squads have now swept all 33 of their individual contests.

Ice Cubes

Despite the one-sidedness of the Brown match, the Harvard debut of freshman Diana Staley in the number one slot did provoke some interest. Staley, hampered by a nagging shoulder injury, nevertheless outplayed her former Choate-Rosemary Hall teammate, Jennifer Meagher, 15-6, 13-15,15-13, and 18-17.

Rounding out Harvard's freshman duo at number two, Mary Hulbert had an easier time against Brown's Karen Kleiner, winning 15-6, 15-5, 15-6. Meanwhile, third-ranked Jackie Corrigan relinquished the only other game aside from Staley, needing four games to dispose of freshman Cordelia Hazen, 17-18, 16-14, 15-4, and 15-8.

No Problem

Among the remaining matches, the Crimson's Lisa Harrison encountered the least difficulty. Playing number five, Harrison surrendered only 12 points over the course of three games in a 15-minute thrashing of her opponent.

"Most of the matches were a breeze," captain Courtney Stimpson said afterwards, "but then we weren't expecting the match to be too difficult," she added. Stimpson, the only senior on the varsity, swept her opponent in three games.

In search of their third straight win, the racquetwomen will be branching out in different directions on Saturday. The team will journey to Maine to face Bowdoin, but in a display of confidence coach Jack Barnaby is allowing Harvard's top four to compete in an invitational tournament in Princeton. Staley, Hulbert, Corrigan and Laurie Kaye will represent the Crimson in New Jersey.

THE NOTEBOOK: Coach Barnaby had the rare privilege yesterday of whipping the team of his predecessor at Harvard, Paul Moses. Now coaching the Bruins, Moses headed the women's squash program here until three years ago...Last year's Choate-Rosemary Hall squash team staged a mini-reunion in Providence yesterday. Former teammates Staley, Meagher, and Mary Winnick all played in the Harvard-Brown match, with Winnick triumphing for the Crimson J.V.'s at number two. The trio filled out the numbers one, two, and three slots respectively, for Choate last year.