Shuttle Bus Schedule Changes To Improve Evening Security

By Roger P. King

The University will increase nighttime shuttlebus service beginning next week in response to a request for better student security made last December by the Committee on Housing and Undergraduate Life (CHUL).

The new schedule will include more frequent runs after 5 p.m. but eliminates weekend service altogether to provide funds for the additional nighttime service.

Ann M. Wacker, chairman of CHUL's subcommittee on shuttle service, said yesterday that the changes are experimental and will be maintained if students take advantage of the new routes.

CHUL originally asked Dean Fox to allocate more money for extended service, so that weekend routes could continue, Glenn J. Moramarco '81, another CHUL member, said yesterday. But he added that most students he has talked to approved of the changes despite the cutbaks Fox has called unavoidable.

Beginning next Tuesday, two buses will run after 5 p.m. between Currier House and Mather House, with stops at Lamont Library and the Science Center. One bus now covers that route.

Another bus will travel from Currier to the Business School.

The Currier-to-Mather buses will make their stops once every 12 minutes on the way to Currier and once every 18 minutes on the way to Mather.

Service will end at 1 a.m., 20 minutes earlier than it does now.

Cari V. Swanson, a spokesman for Buildings and Grounds which supervises the shuttle bus service, said yesterday that studetns will be able to flag down busses at the intersection of Boyiston and South Sts, after 5 p.m.