Men Swimmers Rip Cornell; Women Fall to Yale

Elis Dunk Aquawomen, 81-58; Floyd, Stone Shine in Contest

By Caroline R. Adams

The Yale women's swim team proved that good things come in small packages when they brought their small but powerful team of eight swimmers to Blodgett Pool last Saturday and dunked a much larger, but outclassed, Harvard squad, 81-58.

Freshman sprint specialist Sharon Vietz and senior Helen Hyde led the Bulldogs, each capturing three individual first places by convincing margins. Vietz--one of the Ivy League's most versatile swimmers--won the 50- and 100-yard freestyles and the 50-yard butterfly, while English star Hyde took both the breastroke contests as well as the 100-yard individual medley.

Crimson coach Vicki Hays, who has been priming the squad for "The Meet" for several weeks, said after the showdown that all of her swimmers had performed as well or better than expected, but that the Yale second-string had turned in enough outstanding times to change the character of the meet.

"I think it's a credit to out team that other squads shave down and wear skin suits when they swim us," Hays said, adding, "It could also be that our beautiful facilities make everyone swim much faster than expected."

From Above

Junior diver Pam Stone and freshman freestyler Jeanne Floyd performed outstandingly well for the Crimson, each recording double wins. Stone captured both the 1- and -meter diving contests, while Floyd won the 200- and 500-yard freestyles, as well as a second place in the 100-yard free in personal best times of 1:55.88, 5:04.30 and 54.60 respectively.

Stone--competing with a fever--dived well enough to edge teammate Adriana Holy by .05 in the 1-meter and by 2.15 points in the 3-meter to capture the first-place laurels.

The only other Crimson wins of the day came from freshman Debbie Zimic in the 400-yard IM and from sophomore butterfly ace Kathleen McCloskey in the taxing 200-yard butterfly. Although McCloskey had no competition anywhere in sight, she pushed herself to a season low of 2:07.25 to take the contest a full seven seconds ahead of teammate Terri Frick, who finished second.

One of the most noteworthy swims of the day came from sophomore Maureen Gildea in the 1000-yard freestyle. Gildea--who was last year's Ivy League mile champ--has been swimming three-a-day workouts recently in an effort to overcome a frustrating knee condition that has sidelined her a great deal this season, and has consequently caused her times to rise drastically.

Back to Maureen

Swimming a strong, technically perfect race, Gildea let Zimic and Eli Courtney Ellis go out fast and battle for the lead before she made her move. With 12 laps to go in the 40-lap race, Gildea caught up to and passed the faltering Zimic, and then worked on closing the gap between herself and Ellis--eventually finishing 14 seconds behind Ellis' AIAW National qualifying time of 10:22.73.

THE NOTEBOOK: Sisters Gwen ('82) and Vicki ('84) Gorman both had good afternoons in the pool--while Gwen qualified for the Easterns in the 1000-yard freestyle and copped an unexpected third in the 200-yard backstroke, Vicki shaved a total of 22 seconds off her best times in the 100- and 200-yard backstrokes, and the 400-yard IM...Co-captain Debbie Jacobs broke her arm two days before the Yale meet, sadly ending her swimming career before the two biggest meets of her life...President Bok and Jack Reardon sat together throughout the entire meet.

Back to Maureen