Thinclads Run By Dartmouth

By Nick D Arienzo

Sparked by two sweeps in the 400 meter run and the 55 meter dash, the men's track team melted Dartmouth's hopes of a Cantabrigian Winter Carnival and soundly defeated the Big Green, 75-61 at the ITT Saturday.

The victory, gives the Thinclads a 3-1 record. Their only loss came at the hands of Northeastern, 69-67, on January 10.

Having racked up 70 points by the two-mile event--only 69 points are needed to win a dual meet--Harvard had the meet in the bag before the relays even began. With the Big Three meet (Harvard-Yale-Princeton) coming Sunday, the coaches decided to pull co-captain Marc Chapus from the mile relay and Adam Dixon from the two-mile relay, as both had previously won nhotly contested races.

Dixon won both the 1500 meters--in 3:50.07, his best time this year--and the 1000 meters in 2:29.73.

Chapus had already led a sweep of the 400 meter event, blazing home in 49.22. Behind him were junior Bennett Midlo and freshman John O'Brien, coming in at 49.98 and 50.73 respectively.

Midlo, who broke 50 seconds in the 400 for the first time, did not feel that the sweeps were the most important factor in Saturday's victory. "I think the key was Gus Udo's performance," Midlo said, "He'd been hurt, and came back to triple jump," he added.

Honor Roll

Udo, a sophomore who placed second in the long jump at the GBC's last weekend, captured top honors in the long jump (23 ft. 101/4 in. and the triple jump (49 ft. 1/4 in.)

Not to be outdone, senior Chuck Johnson led a sweep of his own in the 55 meter hurdles, breaking the tape in 7.89 seconds. In hot pursuit was yardling Mark Henry who finished second at 7.97. Sophomore Kim Stephens took third with an 8.04 time.

Henry also nabbed a second in the high jump with a leap of 6 ft. 8 in, and second in the 55 meter dash with a time of 6.62 seconds, making him the second highest team scorer to date. Only Adam Dixon's 47 1/4 total season points tops Henry's 29.

Other fine performances included sophomore's Scott Murrer's first in the 500 meters, crossing the line at 1:05.52 closely followed by Dartmouth's Lavery (1:05. 57), Harvard's Ryan Lamppa (1:05. 67) and Peter Rittenburg (1:05. 69).

THE NOTEBOOK: Co-Captain Chapus on the Big Three: "We haven't beaten Princeton indoors since seniors were freshmen." Yale is not expected to be much of a problem.