Huskies Rout Icewomen in Consolation; B.U. Captures Its First-Ever Beanpot

By Wlliam A. Danoff

If the women's Beanpot Executive Committee awarded a "Lady Byng" trophy for most sportsmanlike team play, Northeastern would have finished last. Despite being the host of this year's tournament, the Huskies did not set a good example of clean hockey with their unique combination of unnecessary checks and obnoxious comments.

But Northeastern completely outskated Harvard, blanking the Crimson, 8-0, in the consolation final of the third annual women's Beanpot last night at the Boston Arena. The icewomen, who dropped a hard-fought 2-1 decision to Boston College in Tuesday's opening round, took a disappointing fourth place in the tourney and now sport a 7-10 overall record.

Bees

Boston University blanked Boston College, 4-0, in the finals for its first ever Beanpot Crown. B.U. had shut out Northeastern by an identical score in Tuesday night's other opening round matchup, to dethrone the Huskies, winners of the first two Beanpots.

The Huskies, ranked third in the nation before their loss to B.U., stickhandle and skate like they grew up on Bauers. To add to its polished-skill level, the average Huskie is as tall and as heavy as the Crimson's biggest skaters. Yet, two weeks ago at the Bright Center, the icewomen managed to harass Northeastern's puckhandlers and keep the score down to a respectable 2-0 when the squads met for the first time this season.

Last night Northeastern came out hungry, ready to burst with pent-up frustration over the B.U. loss and their unsuccessful defense of the Beanpot trophy. Neither team suffered from tournament jitters as the contest opened with end-to-end action immediately after the opening faceoff.

The Huskies struck early, displaying some picture perfect passing--which would have rivaled a hockey version of the Harlem Globetrotters--always one step ahead of the Crimson defense, as Carol Sullivan flipped the puck by Yardling netminder Cheryl Tate from in close at 2:11. For Tate and Harvard, it was the beginning of a long and frustrating night.

With Northeastern constantly swarming in the crease when they pressured the Harvard zone, six of the seven following redlighters were either tip-ins or deflections which Tate had little chance to stop. The freshman goalie looked impressive at times, steering aside 32 Northeastern drives, frequently on point blank rebounds.