On the Road With WHRB; More Mike Desaulniers News

On The Beat

Ah, the miracles of modern transportation. The journey of the esteemed broadcast crew of WHRB 95.3 FM--ED MURPHY, JAY WEINSTEIN, and JIM MATHESON--started uneventfully enough, with the trio leaving Cambridge for Philadelphia a week ago yesterday at about 11:00 a.m. By the time the rented car reached Hartford, however, a jittery Murphy decided he had to check the trunk to see if in fact the trio had remembered to bring the broadcast equipment. The trunk was empty, at least as regards to mixers and microphones. A very upset trio decided it would be fruitless to return to Cambridge for the equipment, and so continued to Philadelphia--home of Pat's cheese steaks and other culinary favorites--in hopes of securing what they needed from the Penn radio station, WXPN. When they arrived in the City of Brotherly Love and managed to seek out Penn Sports information Director Herb Hartnett in a local bistro, they learned that the nice folks at WHRB had sent the equipment down by plane, and it was waiting at the airport. WHRB was able to broadcast as scheduled. All's well that ends well--for the radio station anyway. The hoopsters, on the other hand, probably wished nobody in Cambridge had heard what Murphy et al had to say; the Crimson dropped two games over the weekend, and face Cornell tonight. WHRB will not broadcast...Another media type had his troubles in Philadelphia as well. Daily Pennsylvanian sports editor emeritus MIKE McCONNELL, stringing for the Globe and covering the Harvard-Penn basketball game, sat in the Palestra, busily typing his copy. When he had just about finished, he went into the press room to see if the teletype machine was free. Not only was it unoccupied. McConnell discovered, it had disappeared. The Quaker editor panicked for a moment, and then managed to reach the Globe by phone. He ended up reading his story over the telephone, just like any cub reporter...

Kirkland House went a long way towards defending its Straus Cup title when it convincingly drowned all other House competitors in the finals of the intramural swim at Blodgett on Monday night.

Led by amphibious stars JOHN ZAX, CAROLINE ADAMS, DAVIS WYNEE, and others, the Kirkland House denizens racked up enough points to leave second-place tier Winthrop and Eliot 70 points behind.

Senior co-captain of the men's swim team, and ex-Olympic star BOBBY HACKETT served as starter at the meet, where he jeopardized his standing in the House by disqualifying the Eliot Co-Ed relay at the end of the meet for a jumped start.

Noteworthy performances at the meet included Currier's JANIE SMITH--winner of the 50-yard freestyle and the 100-yard individual medley, and RON RAIKULA's double win for Eliot in the 100 I.M. and the 200-yard freestyle.

JACQUES HUGON--the omnipresent fade behing the stellar timing system--should also be saluted for running the entire meet, as well as swimming the winning leg on Currier's 200-yard Co-Ed Relay.

...Right after last weekend's dual meet against Yale University, diving aces PAM STONE and ADRIANA HOLY embarked on a day-long drive to UPenn to dive in a qualifying meet for AIAW Nationals in March. After they got back late Tuesday night, they spent Wednesday recuperating, then left Thursday afternoon for the Ivy League Championships at Brown University. Next weekend doesn't look any more restful--the Crimson aqua squad will send qualifiers to the Easter Championships at Pitt, too.

One more chapter in the continuing saga of former Harvard racquetman MIKE DESAULNIERS. Desaulniers last weekend captured the $15,000 Dunlop U.S. Pro Squash Championships in Detroit. The tournament marks the third straight time in as many weeks that Desaulniers has beaten Sharif Khan, the current number one world ranking professional. Desaulniers is the first man to ever beat Khan in three consecutive weeks...

Cornell's Roy Kerling is the best hockey player in the ECAC, according to Crimson defenseman ALAN LITCHFIELD. Kerling and Vermont's Craig Homola are the wings on Lich's all-conference team, while Jim Colucci of Providence and Kevin Lovitt of Brown are on the blueline. Litch-field named Dartmouth's Bob Gaudet as the ECAC's top goaltender, although he says that Brown's Paul McCarthy played the best game he's seen all year in the nets. "You don't know how good he really is just from seeing him once." Litchfield says, "so I have to go with Gaudet. He was good last year, and the year before...he's just consistently good."

Litchfield's picks are limited to opponents, so he can't choose Harvard forward GREG OLSON. "Greg is one of the best, unquestionably," Litchfield adds. "He'd be one of my forwards for sure, and he'd probably be the number one player, too"...Crimson goalie WADE LAU was named last week's ECAC Ivy League goalie of the week, for his outstanding Beanpot performances. Two weeks ago. PHIL FALCONE was designated the Ivies' rookie of the week.

With spring break just over the horizon, the Harvard rugby club is looking forward to another season of scrums and fun. According to club president ROY ROBERTS, 25 ruggers will sojourn to Nassau, the Bahamas, to face three native squads in five games over the March break to officially kick off the season, which includes eight games in April.

Senior ERIC KLAUSSEN proved last weekend that his GS is no BS. Klaussen captured sixth place overall in the Giant Slalom competition at the Dartmouth Winter Carnival. Although Klaussen has not yet technically qualified for nationals, his Dartmouth performance should assure him a qualifying slot. Hailing from Squaw Valley, California, Klaussen comments that east coast mountains are "a lot smaller and a lot colder"...The ski team as a whole finished seventh out of ten...not bad since the competition included last year's national champion. University of Vermont.