Behind Closed Doors

As manager of the Petroleum and Transportation Planning Dvision/Supply and Transportation Department, Exxon International Co., Dick Swersey has a vested interest in ensuring that his department secures the sharpest young professionals it can. To this end, he volunteers to interview candidates at several campuses each year. "As a manager, I feel it's an important part of my responsibility to bring new people into the corporation," Swersey says. "I do it because I enjoy it."

Swersey, who will see about 20 students during two days of interviews, says he looks for two man qualities--direction and strong analytic skills. "Every manager is at heart an analyst," Swersey says. "General managers don't get hired--they get developed...I don't car if someone majored in art history in college, I'm looking for 'keys,'" Swersey says. He searches a resume to find evidence of an applicant's science, and economics--and, of course, signs of analytical skill. He also looks for the "directed" student--one who has definite career interests and plans.

In Swersey's eyes, the interview is a two-way exchange. "In 30 minutes, you and I have to decide--'Do you have an interest in Exxon?"' and 'Do I think you have the potential and background for Exxon?'" He looks for "what kind of logical structure (the interviewee) uses to get the maximum information out of me." "We work with other people, so you've got to work for you. I'm munciate to get others to work for you. I'm looking for people who are direct and open about their concerns: How will you react to me if I push you with a question? It's communications ability.

Like all interviewers, Swersey likes those who have done their homework--who can either tell him something about Exxon or have logical questions. "If it's such a big moment in you life, have you done all you can to prepare for it?" After 11 years of recruiting, he still finds interviewees who are obviously unprepared, who "ask a bunch of rambling questions from left field or just respond to pauses in the conversation."

Although interviewing strategy as become almost a science, Swersey says, "I'm not aware of it, and, frankly, I'm not into that--I'm interested in nuts and bolts." He says there is "no one Exxon style" but cautions. "I don't think it takes an awful lot of time to come dressed in a business-like fashion."

At the end of the interview, Swersey tries to sum up the impressions, interests, and concerns of both himself and the potential employee. When both parties understand each other, Swersey feels they have come to a satisfactory conclusion--which might mean the realization that the student is not right for Exxon.

Swersey knows that B-School students are highly sought after and says he feels one of his responsibilities is "to assume people have a lot of choices--my job is to explain what Exxon has to offer." If he fails to do so to his satisfaction during the interview, he makes sure to rectify matters during the student's New York visit, "When we find people we want, we go after them--we want quality people and so does everyone else. There has to be individual attention."