Parcel lb

By Andrew C. Karp

Completed plans for the development of the land behind the Kennedy School of Government into the largest business complex in the Square will be submitted to the Cambridge Planning Board today, a spokesman for the builder said yesterday.

A public hearing on the parcel lb proposal will be held by the Planning Board within the next two months, Richard Friedman, an associate of Carpenter and Co., said yesterday.

Neighborhood groups received a preview of the new plans last months.

Arthur Parris, chairman of the Planning Board, said last night that he had not yet received official word of the submission, but added, "We shouldn't have any trouble" in the review process.

First the Planning Board and then the State must approve the plans, Paul Dietrich, a representative of the project architect, said yesterday, explaining that the state owns parcel lb, which was once scheduled for the site of the Kennedy Library.

Members of the neighborhood groups who went to court to block Carpenter's last plans for the parcel lb said yesterday that the new $60 million proposal satisfies most of their complaints.

"This is an entirely new project, which does not resemble, even remotely, the old one," Thomas Anninger, president of the Neighborhood 10 Association, said yesterday.

Residents agreed in September to drop a group of lawsuits which could have delayed the project up to 60 years in return for a promise from the developer to scale down the retail shopping portion of the retail, hotel, office, and condominium complex.

The Planning Board may be concerned about retail space and parking in the proposal, "but those were our concerns, too, and we are satisfied," Anninger said yesterday.

Although the total size of the project remains unchanged At 555,000 square feet, it will bring only half as much traffic into the Square as the old proposal, according to an analysis performed by state agencies.

The complex will be built on the former sit of car barns owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.