Princeton May Ban Porn

By Compiled FROM College newspapers

PRINCETON, N.J.--Princeton University is considering a proposal by the student affairs office to ban all pornographic films on campus.

The proposed change in university policy initially gained support from the administration when it was suggested more than two weeks ago. "I would prefer that pornographic films not be shown, and I'm prepared to support a policy that prohibits them," Karen R. Tilbor, assistant dean of student affairs, said two weeks ago.

Last week, Dean Brown said he will proceed slowly and cautiously in settling the issue. "I'm not yet convinced that an alteration of our present policy is appropriate." Brown said, adding that no deadline has been set for a decision.

A fall screening of "Deep Throat" revived anti-porn sentiment on campus, Tilbor said, adding that at least one or two sex films are scheduled for the spring.

The only real purpose for showing pornographic films is to make money, Richard Reiss, director of a film group, said, adding that pornographic films have persistently made the highest profits.

The recent proposal would require student organizations sponsoring films to sign a statement agreeing not to show pornographic films.

The student government passed a resolution last week supporting a continuation of the university's present hands-off policy. "Most students would prefer not to have a rule, but would agree to the university's discouraging the films," Tilbor said.

Thomas H. Wright, university counsel, said "there is no justification" for showing pornographic films on campus, adding that "if someone can look me straight in the eye and say that 'Deep Throat' has educational value, then we'll have to talk about it."