Philippine Opposition Leader Calls Marcos Proposal Futile

By Constance M. Laibe

Benigno S. Aquino Jr., a leader of the opposition movement in the Philippines and currently a fellow at the Center for International Affairs, yesterday called Philippine President Ferdinand E. Marcos' plans for presidential elections in May "an exercise in futility" and added that he does not expect to return to the Philippines to run for office.

Aquino said it is too early to tell what the outcome of the election proposal, not yet accepted by the opposition, will be. "We are waiting to see what kind of game it will be before we send in any players," he said, adding that none of the other opposition leaders are seriously considering running in the election.

"They think it's a joke," he said.

Aquino and other opponents of Marcos maintain that the election will have little effect on Philippine politics unless the current constitution is amended. Under the 1973 constitution, established by Marcos during martial law, the president is "only a ceremonial officer," he said.

The Prime Minister holds the real power, he added. Under a 1976 amend- ment, Marcos is Prime Minister for life.

Aquino said the May date set by Marcos makes it impossible for the necessary constitutional changes to take place before the election. "So many things need to be done, which can't be done overnight," he said. The presidential and prime ministerial powers and tenure limits all need to be defined, and the people must be informed and educated about those changes, he said.

Frazier Meade, director of the Office of Philippine Affairs at the State Department, yesterday declined to comment on the recent election proposal. However, he recalled the official U.S. response to the January lifting of martial law, which praised the move as "a positive step," but added that the measures used to implement democracy "would have to speak for themselves."

Under the present system, there is no direct election of national leaders. Voters elect the members of Parliament, but these members elect the President and the Prime Minister. The election would only serve Marcos as "an exercise to refurbish his international image," Aquino said.

Aquino came to the United States last summer when Marcos, citing his opponent's heart ailment, released him from prison. He had been jailed shortly after Marcos cancelled the 1973 presidential elections, in which Aquino was favored to upset the Marcos regime