Another Keller-Sarmiento

On The Beat

Next fall will see yet another Keller-Sarmiento gracing the green pastures of the Business School soccer field. In addition to MAURO--who last year sparked the offense from his position on the wing--and sophomore midfielder AND REAS, PABLO KELLER-SARMIENTO will contribute to coach GEORGE FORD'S team's run at a 1981 Ivy League title. The junior Keller-Sarmiento was admitted as an early applicant to the Class of 1985. . . .Harvard soccer players aren't waiting until next fall to start preparing for the 1981 campaign. About 35 varsity, J.V. and freshmen players turned out last Tuesday night for the first session of Harvard indoor soccer. The group will play every Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 p.m. until 1 a.m. on the top floor of the IAB, with three games going on at once. For now, says 1981 captain JOHN DUGGAN, the games are "pretty much informal," with no scorekeeping. Next week, however, Duggan hopes to be able to start an informal "intramural-type" league. "It would be mainly just for fun, a couple of hours a night with the ball," Duggan said. In addition to the indoor program, Duggan said he plans to start voluntary--Ivy League rules permit nothing else--outdoor practices starting around spring vacation. That would be a first for the burgeoning Harvard soccer program, and Duggan credits the development to an increased level of dedication to the soccer program.

* * *

Freshman Crimson hoopster KEN PLUTNICKI never suspected he had relatives in the Boston area--at least, not until just before Harvard's game against Cornell last Saturday night. But the group of people he found outside the IAB that evening knew all about him, ever since Robert Plutnicki, a sophomore at Marlborough High and a don't-even-try-and-figure-out-the-relation relation, had discovered a little blurb in the Boston Globe which mentioned that Ken would be attending Harvard in the fall. That discovery had set the wheels in motion, and after a series of very confusing intrigue and communications between Ken's mother--of the New Jersey Plutnickis--and members of the Massachusetts Plutnicki clan, someone finally devined the fact that Ken's great-grandmother and Robert's great-grandfather were siblings, who had been separated early in this century and had lost track of each other. If all this sounds very confusing, that's because it is.

* * *

The Crimson's 107-point effort last Tuesday night was only the 18th time a Harvard squad has topped 100 in the history of the basketball program. In addition, it is the highest point total in the Ivies yet this year. . . .BOB McCABE'S four blocked shots against Yale are the most by any Crimson player in a game in recent memory. . . . Speaking of McCabe, former Crimson hoop coach and current director of intramurals FLOYD WILSON said yesterday. "I've never seen a kid work so hard to come back from injuries the way he has." The sophomore center--after injuring his knee early in the fall of 1978--was told that he would never play basketball again. Just look at the two scars on his knee to get an inkling of why the doctors told him that.

* * *

PETE RITTENBERG had laid first claim to the 1981 Harvard Iron Man award by nabbing the U.S. Track and Field Federation pentathlon championship on January 25. Rittenberg was in second place after the first three events in the five-part contest but finished strong with firsts in the high jump and the 1000 meter run to cop the title... A day earlier three Harvard thinclads posted personal bests in the annual New York-Boston Invitation Meet. Freshman MARK HENRY won the high jump with a leap of 6 ft., 9 in. In the mile run only a close examination of the photo finish revealed that ADAM DIXON had been nipped by New York's Luis Ostolozaga. But the run attracting the most attention from the Harvard contingent was BUCK LOGAN's 8:44.36 in the 2-mile event. Though only good enough for second place behind Kenyan star Solomon Chebor. Logan's time was almost a school record. When converted to a hand time, his electronically recorded effort became the source of controversy. With the conversion factor, Logan's time tops the Harvard record set by DOUGLAS HARDIN in 1968, but the official verdict holds that Hardin's record still stands because the school does not consider the differences between handtimed and electronically-timed races. . . . Associate track coach and part-time football referee ED STOWELL took time off recently for an operation to correct a torn retina. Head coach BILL McCURDY's comment on the problem: "It only goes to prove what we've always thought about refs."

In recently released Ivy League swimming rankings, freshman DEBBIE ZIMIC placed in the top ten in seven different events, including the three individual medleys, the 100 fly, and the 50, 200, and 500-yd. freestyle races. Both ADRIANA HOLY and KATHLEEN McCLOSKEY were ranked first, with Holy posting top scores in one-meter diving and McCLOSKEY turning in the Ivies' fastest time in the 200-yd. butterfly.

* * *

Freshman wrestler RICK BELLER. who sprained his ankle in the 118-lb. class versus Columbia last Saturday, will be able to return to action in two week's time... Last weekend's eight Crimson pins were more than their combined total for their previous nine matches...Senior co-captain TONY CIMMARUSTI will not wrestle the rest of the season, he said last Monday. His knee, injured in the 1979 Yale Game, is considered too tender and fragile to risk hurting again for a team that no longer has a reasonable chance for an Ivy title.