Tigers Submerge Crimson

Zimic, Floyd, McCloskey Shine

By Caroline R. Adams, Special to The Crimson

PRINCETON, N.J.--Traditionally lions are supposed to come in snarling and then depart docilely like lambs. That, however, was not the case last Saturday afternoon at Dillon Pool when the Princeton aquawomen came in like tigers and left like tigers--mauling the Harvard swimmers in the process, 107-42.

The score does not indicate how much effort the Crimson put forth in a contest they knew beforehand was a hopeless cause. Peppered with a number of close, gutsy swims that were decided by fractions of seconds, Harvard fought valiantly to the end, and used the stellar quality of the Princeton competitors to spur them on to new personal records.

Freshman phenomenon Debbie Zimic sparkled at the meet, blazing to lifetime bests of 54.4 and 1:56.4 in the 100- and 200-yard freestyles, as wll as notching a season low of 4:39.6 in the 400-yard individual medley.

In the 200, Zimic engaged in one of the most exciting races of the day, matching Princeton's Karen Weisel stroke for stroke and then pulling out a win by less than one-tenth of a second. Zimic's other victory of the day came in the grueling 400 IM which she dominated so completely that the second-place finisher was almost an entire pool length behind her.

Yardling Jeanne Floyd also had a spectacular afternoon, recording two personal bests of 5:09.2 and 10:36.4 in the 500- and 1000-yard freestyles. Both of Floyd's races were also close matches, with the lead constantly seesawing back and forth between her and Tiger Liz Richardson.

In the 500 Floyd took the lead for several lengths, stroking consistent 100 splits of 1:02 before she was overtaken by Richardson with two lengths to go. The 1000 was less close, as Richardson opened up a slight lead at 20 lengths, then increased the margin to half a pool to take the contest with a 10:28.1.

Sldetracks

Sophomore butterfly ace Kathleen McCloskey remained undefeated in the gut-wrenching 200-yard butterfly, out-touching Princeton's Donna Goldbloom by over a second with a 2:09.1. McCloskey also tied for first place in the 50-yard fly but due to a timing system breakdown was arbitrarily awarded second-place by Princeton judges.

The Crimson diving corps had a tough day in their matchup against Ivy League superstars Chris Moses and Mary Lincer. Although sophomore Adriana Holy managed a second in the 1-meter and junior Pam Stone a third in the 3-meter, the Tiger divers were almost untouchable with their tightly-executed performances that often earned them scores of seven or higher.

Other good Crimson swimming performances came from senior co-captain Katie Kelley, junior Gwen Gorman, and sophomore Debbie "Sub-Deb" Markson. All three swam lifetime bests--Kelley in the 50-, 100- and 200-yard backstrokes, Gorman in the 1000-yard free and 200-yard back, and Markson in the 100-yard fly.