Dunlop Organizes, Heads Labor-Management Group

By James S. Mcguire

John T. Dunlop, Lamont University Professor, will head a recently reconstituted labor-management group, which will address ways business and labor can coordinate their actions to revitalize America economically.

The group is the fourth such business and labor group to be formed since 1972. Dunlop said yesterday.

Although the original group served as a federal advisory committee during former President Richard M. Nixon's administration, the current group has no direct links with the government.

The committee--which wishes to keep its meetings private--will communicate its recommendations directly to the public.

The group will meet about seven times a year, and some of the first issues it will discuss may include energy policy and inflation. Dunlop said, adding that the group will attempt to find methods suitable to both sides to prevent energy shortages and to lower the inflation rate.

In previous years the group has addressed tax questions, health care costs, and immigration, Dunlop said. He added that the previous group was "quite influential" in shaping the 1974-75 tax cut bill.

Sen. Russell Long (D-La.), a sponsor of the tax cut measure, was "quite impressed" when management and labor agreed on and presented him with a plan. Dunlop said, adding that this support probably helped the passage of the bill.

The group's statement of purpose says that it has obligations to the "just demands for equity" by minorities, and women. But it is unlikely that any one from these groups will serve on the committee because the other 16 members will either be chief executive officers of companies or presidents of unions, Dunlop said.

Clifton C. Garvin, Jr., chairman of the Exxon Corporation, will chair the management portion of the group and Lane Kirkland, president of the AFL-CIO, will head the labor segment.

Dunlop said he hopes that non-AFL-CIO labor leaders from either the Teamsters or Coal Workers unions will join the group, and that the membership is still not finalized