University Continues Southwestern Ban

Epps Meets with Mallon, Forbids Recruiting

The University yesterday enforced its six-year campus ban on the Southwestern bookselling company, forbidding Thomas J. Mallon, a first-year Business School student, from recruiting prospective door-to-door salesmen on Harvard property.

At a meeting arranged by Mallon yesterday, Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, told the recruiter he could not use his Business School dorm room or phone to solicit for Southwestern, a Nashville subsidiary of the Times Mirror Company.

Mallon said yesterday Epps refused to lift a 1975 ban--levied against Southwestern after the company used a freshman dorm to hold a recruitment meeting--because of the company's "past recruitment practices" and the potential fiscal "riskiness" involved in door-to-door book selling.

Mallon said he would abide by the University's rules, adding. "After talking to people at the Business School and Dean Epps. I now understand what I can and cannot do."

Epps refused to comment yesterday.

The meeting between Epps and Mallon came less than a week after Mallon met with two freshman who had left their names and phone numbers on an unapproved poster in Canaday Hall which offered information about "Summer Work $3000-4000." The placement of an unapproved poster, solicitation for summer work in a dormitory and the use of a school telephone and dorm room in recruiting for a business enterprise all violate College rules.

However, the violations, which Mallon made as an independent recruiter separate from the company, came only after Southwestern had asked the University to consider lifting or lessening the ban.

John Brubacker, a salaried sales manager for the company, said yesterday he wrote a letter to the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning last November and at the same time made an appointment to see Epps to discuss past problems between the company and the University.

When Brubacker attempted to confirm his appointment with Epps later the same week, he said he was told Epps' schedule was completely full for the day the appointment was planned. Brubacker said he offered to met with Epps the following day--or another day that was more convenient--but was told that Epps would "respond by mail."

"That was two months ago. I'm still waiting." Brubacker said, adding, "I felt that if I could not have an appointment, I at least deserved the courtesy of the letter promised."

James Simpson, director of public relations for Southwestern, yesterday confirmed that Mallon was soliciting under his own initiative and that Harvard was one school where the company was not recruiting.

"If he thinks he can deal with the administration at Harvard, he's a very optimistic fellow," Simpson said.

The company "maintains a great rapport" at many of the 500 colleges and universities where it actively recruits, Simpson said, adding. "Southwestern would very much like a good rapport at Harvard because of the quality of its students."

Several Harvard students who have worked for Southwestern in previous years said yesterday they were disappointed that Harvard was continuing to make what they saw as legitimate, lucrative summer work very inaccessible.

Corbin R. Johnson '81, who made $900 and $1500 in two successive summers with Southwestern, said the work was "very worthwhile. It gave me a chance to be independent."

"The work is like that of the stereotypical door-to-door salesman -- sweeping through cities, one step ahead of the law," Johnson said. "I had one permanent address during the entire summer and conducted my business in an honest, straightforward way," he added.

The business--going door-to-door in a neighborhood selling educational and religious books, primarily the two-volume "Webster Student Handbook Set"--was a six-day-a-week, twelve-hour-a day enterprise. Johnson said, adding that he earned 43 per cent of sales, which ranged from $80 to $240 daily.

"It's almost like Outward Bound, but in a urban environment. The job takes you into the city where you learn how to survive," Johnson said, adding. "At a time of shrinking financial aid, I don't know any better job where you can earn $1500.