Cable TV To Film And Distribute Pudding's Show

Hasty Pudding Theatricals signed a contract yesterday with Star Case Productions, allowing the cable television company to film and distribute the musical "Serfs Up," Megumi Oka '81, producer of the show, said yesterday.

According to the contract, the Needham-based television company will release the film version of "Serf's Up" within the next six months in the Boston area and will negotiate distribution with interested companies as far away as Los Angeles.

Under the agreement, Hasty Pudding Theatricals will have legal ownership of the film and will receive 50 per cent of the royalties from its distribution.

"Several people have approached us in the past, and every year contracts for filming Pudding productions almost work out, but they never have until now," Oka said.

The Hasty Pudding staged an extra performance of "Serf's Up" yesterday for the filming.

The show, which has played since February 18, has been one of the most successful ever produced by Hasty Pudding Theatricals, Bill Looney '81, assistant producer, said yesterday, adding that 12,000 people have already seen the musical, and more than four thousand will see it on tour in New York and Bermuda.