Nation Celebrates St. Pat's Day

Celebrations of St. Patrick's Day across the country yesterday included green grits and green mink as well as the more common parades and beer.

In Savannah, Georgia, the Sinn Fein Society sponsored the city's 157th Irish parade--which drew 20,000 people--and then served a breakfast of green grits to city residents.

Restauranteur Silky Sullivan opened Memphis' Fifth Annual St. Patrick's Day Pub Crawl with the traditional "blessing of the keg." After the "blessing," a hoard of Irishmen, in spirit if not in fact, marched two miles from downtown Memphis to Overton Square, stopping at 19 bars and pubs along the way. Following the marchers was a truck with outside spigots--ready to provide beer between stops.

In New York City, Mayor Edward I. Koch and Governor Hugh L. Carey led 100,000 people and 196 bands in the country's largest St. Patrick's Day parade. An airlift of shamrocks was flown in for the occasion.

Mayor Jane Byrne of Chicago wore a green mink coat as she led that city's annual parade, which tied with St. Paul, Minn, as the second-largest of the day.

President Reagan issued a statement condemning the violence in Ireland and urging Americans not to support the fighting by sending money. Reagan said he looks forward to the day the Irish will end their fighting, adding that "the United States will continue to urge the parties to come together for a just and peaceful solution."