Eidenberg Gets Democratic Party Post

IOP Fellow Hopes to Revive Party

By Jacob M. Schlesinger

Eugene Eidenberg, assistant to former President Carter and currently a fellow at the Institute of Politics (IOP), said yesterday he will become director of the Democratic National Committee in April.

A spokesman for the committee refused to confirm the appointment yesterday, saying the new director will be announced later this week.

Eidenberg, who served as assistant to the president on inter-governmental affairs, said he hopes to help "rebuild the Democratic Party from the local level up" and make the party "reach out to the millions of Democrats who didn't vote in the last election."

The Democratic National Committee, under new leadership, is filling several of its top administrative posts this week. Last month, the committee elected Charles T. Manatt as its chairman.

Eidenberg will continue his IOP duties until the end of the semester, commuting between Washington and Cambridge.

He said his duties will be mainly administrative and organizational, including coordinating communications and hiring.

The key to reviving the party is to "build a record of organization, or fundraising, of candidate recruitment," Eidenberg said, adding, "The party has to have a strong organization and a high-quality staff that can do the work."

Last November's Republican sweep of the presidency and of the Senate does not make that task impossible, he added.

"The basic principles of the Democratic party are still sound. The election does not give the Republicans a mandate to reverse 50 years of bipartisan support for social programs," Eidenberg said.

Jack Watson, former chief of staff and Eidenberg's White House boss, yesterday praised Eidenberg's selection, saying he will be effective in bolstering the Democratic party.